2018 Artist Alley Information
Please keep updated on the FanimeCon website, Twitter, Facebook, and this FAQ for up-to-date information concerning the Artist Alley.
Welcome to the FanimeCon Artist Alley FAQ!
We have received many questions and concerns, and we hope that the post below will help you with any issue that you may be experiencing. We will keep this document updated with the most updated information concerning the Artist Alley.
A California seller's permit can be obtained from the California State Board of Equalization Website. Please adhere to the rules below when applying for a permit. Each artist must have a hard copy of their sellers permit on site. While you are selling at the convention you can be subject to produce your permit for the state board of equalization at any time. Not doing so will result in immediate action both by the state and by the convention.
- Do NOT use FanimeCon email addresses on your Seller's Permit.
- Artist must provide a valid Permanent/Temporary Seller’s Permit issued by the State of California.
- Temporary Permits must be valid for all of the Event Dates regardless of how many days you plan to attend, and Event Space (SJCC) - which must be listed visibly on the Permit.
- The SJCC must be listed as a sub-location on permanent Seller's Permits.
If you do not submit your seller’s permit by the deadline, you will not be able to sell. If you are using a permanent sellers permit, your name must be the primary name on the permit.
San Jose Convention Center
150 W San Carlos St
San Jose, CA 95113
May 25-28, 2018
Is the convention badge included in the table price?
No. The costs are separate. Each artist will need to purchase a full weekend badge in addition to the table fee.
Do I have to pay for the weekend badge before I find out if I have an Artist Alley table?
No. You are not required to purchase a badge before you find out if you are selected for an Artist Alley Table. If you are selected however, you will then be required to purchase a weekend badge.
Can I give my table to someone else?
No. Tables are non-transferable. You will not be able to transfer your table to a designated person or artist. Artists also cannot be added to your table after submitting your application.
How do I add a helper?
Helpers are not part of the online Artist Alley registration. Helpers will require a convention badge and a signed helper agreement.
What criteria does the jury judge on?
FanimeCon Artist Alley accepts applicants using a jury system. When you apply for the Artist Alley you must submit links to 4 pieces of artwork or photos that best represent your collection. The jurors are comprised of creative professionals that have extensive experience in the industry.
Please refer to the Jury Rubric for details on judging criteria.
Why was I not chosen?
Each year we receive many more applications than table spaces available. We have implemented a jury-based system to maintain an excellent exhibition of artistic skill and creativity in the Fanime Artist Alley. Our jury is comprised of experienced illustrators and designers that understand the field and how difficult it can be to grow and improve one’s skills. We hope that this does not discourage you, but inspires your determination to develop your talent. We don’t feel it is appropriate to be discussing any specifics regarding why a particular account was or was not selected, and do not release the jury scores publicly or privately.
What about the waitlist?
Everyone that isn’t accepted during the initial approval is automatically added to the waitlist. If a selected Artist withdraws their application, or misses a post-approval deadline, then their table will be forfeit and offered, in order of the review results, to an Artist who was not accepted during the original determination and whose material isn't a violation of the Alley's rules. Individual position on the waitlist will not be released.
I am unable to agree to the 2nd agreement signature on the DocuSign table agreement, what do I do about my artist partner?
All artists will be sent the agreement. The 2nd agreement signature does not need to be completed. If you or your partner have been accepted to participate and you have not received the table agreement to sign, please email the artist alley staff.
How do I complete the registration process?
We will be notifying you once you have been selected on when and what steps are available to you to advance in the registration process. You may also login at any time to your Artist Alley Account to check the status and next steps available.
If I cannot attend the convention, what can I do?
If you are unable to come to the convention, please let us know as soon as possible by emailing Artist Alley and include your Artist Alley account number in the email subject line. The cancellation deadline is May 1, 2018. If you cancel after May 1, 2018, no refund will be issued for the table fee.
Refunds for the table fee only (does not include any badge registration) shall be issued within 90 days after May 31, 2018. If there are two artists at the table, both artists must cancel in order to receive a refund. Refunds are issued to the artist who made payment.
Can someone sell my art at the convention for me?
Selling by proxy is not permitted in Artist Alley. The artist must be available during the convention at any time during operating hours by request of the Artist Alley staff. For the purposes of Artist Alley, the definition of “artist” is the actual illustrator of the pieces sold. Colorists and/or inkers are only allowed to sell if the illustrator is available in person at the request of the Artist Alley staff during operating hours.Selling by proxy is not permitted in Artist Alley. The artist must be available during the convention at any time during operating hours by request of the Artist Alley staff. For the purposes of Artist Alley, the definition of “artist” is the actual illustrator of the pieces sold. Colorists and/or inkers are only allowed to sell if the illustrator is available in person at the request of the Artist Alley staff during operating hours.
Will the SJCC Union be there to help?
Union assistance will be available during the setup (Friday during load-in) and tear-down (Monday during load-out) process free of charge, and will take your inventory and equipment to your table if you are unable to carry it yourself in a single trip without the use of a handtruck or cart. They will be located at the Artist Alley entrance, and the loading dock on the south end of the room.
We also wanted to re-iterate some of the most important rules of the convention, as to avoid any conflict that may arise. Please understand that any infraction of these rules will put your table at risk for this and future Artist Alley attendance.We also wanted to re-iterate some of the most important rules of the convention, as to avoid any conflict that may arise. Please understand that any infraction of these rules will put your table at risk for this and future Artist Alley attendance.
ARTIST may NOT offer or sell the following:
- Reproductions of any existing licensed merchandise (i.e. plushies, buttons, stickers, shirts, or hats that are similar to or exact replicas of licensed merchandise), logos (i.e. buttons, keychains, vinyl stickers of existing logos or designs that have a copyright), or merchandise with attached logos in any form (i.e. bags, shirts, hats with logo patches or silk-screened logos). Representatives of official licensed companies as well as representatives of the companies themselves may be present at the convention. As per the Artist Alley agreement, we are not liable for any legal actions pertaining to copyright infringement found in the Artist Alley.
- The works of another Artist whether or not that Artist is registered for the Event. This is Proxy Selling and will not be tolerated.
- Food, beverages, makeup products, soap, skin care products, face painting services or hazardous items.
- Weapons. Cosplay prop items that are not already licensed in any form are permitted. Any weapon-like props must be authorized and peace bonded by Rovers immediately after sale. A copy of FanimeCon’s Weapons Policy must be provided with every sale by the Artist. Please contact Artist Alley upon registration and request to be apprised of other restrictions that must be adhered to.
- On-site airbrush, enamel or oil paint-based artwork.
- Panels, autograph sessions or other themed programming not previously authorized by Fan Services.
- Any infringing or illegal work. It is the responsibility of the Artist to know if their work is illegal or infringing.
- Unlawful material, balloons and any form of gambling are not permitted under any circumstances in the Alley.
- Securing art or any construction directly to the SJCC equipment such as tables, chairs, and walls is prohibited. Tension-based clamps such as these are permitted as long as they do not damage the table.
- ARTIST’S set-ups and displays must not interfere with neighboring tables to either side or behind the ARTIST’S table, and may not protrude outside of the confines of the table top. This includes backward facing art displays are not allowed.
- Set-ups or displays may not be taller than six (6) feet above the top of the provided table, may not block or extend in any way into aisles, and must be stable and not pose a hazard.
- Do not use the Event Space tables or chairs as step ladders or scaffolding.
- Artist Alley does not provide tools or equipment.
- The assigned table number must be easily and readily visible at all times.
- The table numbers are Event Sponsor property and are not to be written on, taped to, or otherwise marked or obscured.
- Tables and chairs may not be moved from the assigned space. There are only 2 chairs allowed per table, and at most two people may be behind a table at any one time.
- Power drops are not available in Artist Alley. Use of any outlets in the room is a violation.
Artist Alley hours of operation:
- Friday, 2:00pm - 8:00pm
- Saturday, 10:00am - 7:00pm
- Sunday, 10:00am - 7:00pm
- Monday, 10:00am - 3:00pm
Artist Alley will be open to Artists (not helpers) for an hour before and after the hours of operation for setup and take-down each night.
What is the price for a 2018 Artist Alley table?
Artist Alley tables are $200 for FanimeCon 2018.
Payments will be handled only after artists have been selected.
Where is the link to apply for Artist Alley?
Artists may apply and login to their accounts at:
The site will begin taking applications, starting 8:00PM, Sunday, December 10th, 2017*.
Applications will be accepted until 10:00PM Tuesday, December 12th, 2017*.
If you have any further questions please contact us at email@example.com.