2023 Artist Alley Information
Welcome to the FanimeCon Artist Alley FAQ!
Please keep updated on the FanimeCon website, Twitter, Facebook, and this FAQ for up-to-date information concerning the Artist Alley.
Where is the link to apply for Artist Alley?
Artists may apply and login to their accounts at:
The site will open for account creation starting Friday, December 30, 2022.
The site will take applications for 36 hours.
Starting: 8am, Friday, January 6, 2023
Closing: 8pm, Saturday, January 7, 2023
Who is eligible to apply for Artist Alley?
Any artist may apply as long as they meet the following:
- Will be 18 years of age Before May 26, 2023.
- Can make the table fee payment using PayPal.
- Are able to obtain a valid California Seller’s Permit.
- Will attend all four days of the convention.
- The Artist listed on the account will attend FanimeCon 2023.
What do I need to prepare to apply for Artist Alley?
Artists will need to prepare a portfolio of four art samples and store them online. Artists will provide the URL link to each sample and their portfolio as part of the application. You will also need to pick whether your table would primarily be considered Craft or Prints.
How do I complete the application process?
You will first need to create an Artist Alley account. Account creation begins at 8pm, December 30. During account creation you will create an account and receive an email validation. Be sure to click on the validation link which will confirm your account and direct you to some additional steps and information to help you prepare before the applications open.
When the application period opens you will need to log in, complete, and submit your application. Accounts may still be created during the application period. Applications will ONLY be accepted during the open application period. You must have a submitted application in order to be eligible for the waitlist or At-Con table purchase.
All applications are scored based on a jury review process. Artists will receive an email notification between 7 to 10 weeks on their status, and what steps are available to continue in the process. Notification of your selection will be released no later than the week of February 22. If you are not selected you will be notified and provided the option of adding yourself to our waitlist.
You may also login at any time to your Artist Alley Account to check the status and next steps available to you.
What criteria does the jury judge on?
FanimeCon Artist Alley evaluates applicants using a jury system. When you apply for the Artist Alley you must submit links to four pieces of artwork or photos that represent your best works, and/or represent what you sell. The jurors are comprised of creative and policy-based professionals who have extensive experience in the industry.
We recommend avoiding these common pitfalls:
- YouTube videos. Jurors will not watch videos. They will only view still images.
- Twitter accounts. We have found that twitter tends to update frequently and the art piece you submitted may no longer be seen or easily found. It also becomes difficult to determine what art is yours, versus what might be shared.
- A link which requires a password, or account to access the site. Please assume that jurors do not have access to particular platforms.
- Limiting DeviantArt accounts to those who are members if you are placing samples for the jury there.
- Broken links. Have a friend check your links. If links can’t be seen your score will be recorded as 0, or Incomplete.
- Link to a photo of a display at another convention. We can’t judge art if we can’t see it! Jurors are looking for details in specific works, not everything crammed in a single snapshot.
- Do not assume the judges can or will zoom on any art sample, such as a collage of prints.
- Do not delete, or have a timer on your sample art links. In some cases, we may need to revisit the art examples. Sample art links should be maintained until the convention ends.
- Do not have an auto download on a link. Jurors do not download art samples, they only view it on a browser.
- Do not have to download to view the image. This can be an issue if stored in a google folder.
- Do not link to spyware, malware, or anything similarly harmful.
- Do not link to “store under construction”. Again, if links can’t be seen your score will be recorded as 0, or Incomplete.
- Do not link to works of art which are not your own. Works should be clearly yours.
Why was I not chosen?
We have implemented a jury-based system to maintain an excellent exhibition of artistic skill and creativity in the FanimeCon Artist Alley, but at the end of the day we simply do not have enough space for all of the amazing applications we receive. Due to revising our table layout to adapt to COVID precautions we are likely to have even fewer tables this year. Truly, space is our limiting factor, not the quality of the applications we receive.
We don’t feel it is appropriate to be discussing any specifics regarding why a particular account was or was not selected, and do not release the jury scores publicly or privately.
What about the waitlist?
Everyone that isn’t accepted during the initial jury review selection is provided the option of adding themselves to our waitlist. If a selected Artist withdraws their application, or misses a post-approval deadline, then their table will be forfeit and offered, in order of the review results, to an Artist on the waitlist who was not accepted during the original determination and whose material isn't a violation of the Alley's rules.
Individual positions on the waitlist will not be released.
What about COVID?
FanimeCon is maintaining a cautionary stance towards COVID. Please review the COVID Policy release for the most up to date information on our official FanimeCon website.There are still many unknowns due to COVID which are impacting our planning activities. We will strive to keep our Artists updated and informed as changes develop and ask for your patience and flexibility as we strive to make a safe and fun convention for 2023!
A California seller's permit can be obtained from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration Website. Please adhere to the rules below when applying for a permit. Each artist must have a hard copy of their sellers permit on site. While you are selling at the convention you can be subject to produce your permit for the state board of equalization at any time. Not doing so will result in immediate action both by the state and by the convention.
- Do NOT use FanimeCon email addresses on your Seller's Permit.
- Artist must provide a valid Permanent/Temporary Seller’s Permit issued by the State of California.
- Temporary Permits must be valid for all of the Event Dates regardless of how many days you plan to attend, and Event Space (SJCC) - which must be listed visibly on the Permit.
- The SJCC must be listed as a sub-location on permanent Seller's Permits.
If you do not submit your seller’s permit by the deadline, you will not be able to sell. If you are using a permanent sellers permit, your name must be the primary name on the permit.
Is there any guidance for Out of State or Out of Country sellers?
Out of State and Out of Country sellers also need a valid seller’s permit. The Department of Tax and Fee Administration can help you but advanced planning is needed. Assistance in other languages may be limited.
Some out of country sellers have previously experienced issues bringing in their merchandise stock to the country. Please check your local regulations as well as import regulations to avoid any issues with border crossings, or shipped merchandise.
Due to COVID travel restrictions are also varied and changing. Please watch, check travel restrictions, and refer to FanimeCon’s official website for the most up to date COVID vaccination requirements.
San Jose Convention Center
150 W San Carlos St
San Jose, CA 95113
May 26-29, 2023
Is the convention badge included in the table price?
No. The badge and table costs are separate.
Each artist will need to purchase a full weekend badge in addition to the table fee.
Please see the Registration Department for restrictions and refund policies related to badges. Artist Alley has no control over Badge purchases.
Do I have to pay for the weekend badge before I find out if I have an Artist Alley table?
No. You are not required to purchase a badge before you find out if you are selected for an Artist Alley Table. If you are selected however, you will then be required to purchase a weekend badge.
Can I give my table to someone else?
No. Tables are non-transferable. You will not be able to transfer your table to a designated person or artist.
How do I add a helper?
Helpers are not part of the online Artist Alley application process.
Helpers will require a convention badge and a signed helper agreement which will be completed when you pick up your badge and check in to your Artist Alley table the first day of the convention.
If I cannot attend the convention, what can I do?
If you are unable to come to the convention, please let us know as soon as possible by emailing Artist Alley and include your Artist Alley account number in the email subject line.
The cancellation deadline is May 8, 2023. If you cancel after May 8, 2023, no refund will be issued for the table fee.
Refunds for the table fee only (does not include any badge registration costs) shall be issued within 90 days after May 31, 2023.
Refunds on badges, if available, are subject to the Registration Department's badge policies.
Can someone sell my art at the convention for me?
Someone else selling your art is considered “proxy selling”.
Selling by proxy is not permitted in Artist Alley.
For the purposes of our Artist Alley, the definition of “artist” is the actual illustrator of the pieces sold. The artist must be the primary person to be seated at the table during the convention at any time during operating hours of the Artist Alley. Colorists and/or inkers may be a Helper at the table, and are only allowed to sell if the illustrator is also present at the convention and they are covered under the illustrators seller’s permit.
Can my AI artwork be sold at the convention?
No. Due to the current nature of Ai-generated artwork, staff have determined it to be against our definition of ‘artist’ and will not be allowed in our Artist Alley for FanimeCon 2023.
Will the SJCC Union be there to help?
Union assistance will be available during the setup (Friday during load-in) and tear-down (Monday during load-out) process free of charge, and will take your inventory and equipment to your table if you are unable to carry it yourself in a single trip without the use of a hand truck or cart. They will be located at the Artist Alley entrance, and the loading dock on the south end of the room.
What is the price for a 2023 Artist Alley table?
Artist Alley tables are $200 for FanimeCon 2023.
Payment is accepted by Paypal ONLY. Payments will be handled only after artists have been selected.
This DOES NOT include the cost of the convention weekend badge, which is required for participation in FanimeCon’s Artist Alley.
What if someone cancels, or does not show up on Friday. Can I buy a table on Saturday?
At this time we are planning to allow any unclaimed tables to be purchased Saturday morning. Specific details are still being worked out, but in order to purchase a table on site you must have submitted an Artist Alley Application. So please be sure to do so in December! Payment will be by U.S. Dollars (cash) only.
Unclaimed tables are any tables to which an Artist did not check in on site and claim by 7pm on Friday. Artist Alley will not be accommodating requests from Artists to sell only two or three of the four convention days. If you have a life event, such as a graduation, or are purchasing cheaper travel fares which do not allow you to check in and sell Friday your table will be forfeit.
Artist Alley will only consider last minute requests which are due to delays not by choice (IE: mechanical or weather issue causing transportation delays) to check in on Saturday and not forfeit their table.
We also wanted to re-iterate some of the most important rules of the convention, as to avoid any conflict that may arise. Please understand that any infraction of these rules will put your table at risk for this and future Artist Alley attendance.
ARTIST may NOT offer or sell the following:
- Artificially generated images and/or art that has not been illustrated in part or whole by the approved artist registered at their assigned table.
- Reproductions of any existing licensed merchandise (i.e. plushies, buttons, stickers, shirts, or hats that are similar to or exact replicas of licensed merchandise), logos (i.e. buttons, keychains, vinyl stickers of existing logos or designs that have a copyright), or merchandise with attached logos in any form (i.e. bags, shirts, hats with logo patches or silk-screened logos). Representatives of official licensed companies as well as representatives of the companies themselves may be present at the convention. As per the Artist Alley agreement, we are not liable for any legal actions pertaining to copyright infringement found in the Artist Alley.
- The works of another Artist whether or not that Artist is registered for the Event. This is Proxy Selling and will not be tolerated.
- Food, beverages, makeup products, soap, skin care products, face painting services or hazardous items.
- Weapons. Cosplay prop items that are not already licensed in any form are permitted. Any weapon-like props must be authorized and peace bonded by the Peacebonding Team immediately after sale. A copy of FanimeCon’s Weapons Policy must be provided with every sale by the Artist. Please contact Artist Alley upon registration and request to be apprised of other restrictions that must be adhered to.
- On-site airbrush, enamel or oil paint-based artwork.
- Panels, autograph sessions or other themed programming not previously authorized by Fan Services.
- Any infringing or illegal work. It is the responsibility of the Artist to know if their work is illegal or infringing.
- Unlawful material, balloons and any form of gambling are not permitted under any circumstances in the Alley.
- Securing art or any construction directly to the SJCC equipment such as tables, chairs, and walls is prohibited. Tension-based clamps such as these are permitted as long as they do not damage the table.
- ARTIST’S set-ups and displays must not interfere with neighboring tables to either side or behind the ARTIST’S table, and may not protrude outside of the confines of the table top. This includes backward facing art displays which are not allowed.
- Set-ups or displays may not be taller than six (6) feet above the top of the provided table, may not block or extend in any way into aisles, and must be stable and not pose a hazard.
- Do not use the Event Space tables or chairs as step ladders or scaffolding.
- Artist Alley does not provide tools or equipment.
- The assigned table number must be easily and readily visible at all times.
- The table numbers are Event Sponsor property and are not to be written on, taped to, or otherwise marked or obscured.
- Power drops are not available in Artist Alley. Using an extension cord, or similar, to bring power to your table from of any outlets in the room is a violation.
Of Particular Note this year:
- Floor mounted displays (ex: tri-pods) are not allowed.
- Freestanding displays behind the table are not allowed.
- Tables and chairs may not be moved from the assigned space. Fanime provides two chairs behind each table. No more than two chairs are allowed. If you need special accommodation with your own chair or only one chair you need to coordinate with Artist Alley Staff.
- Only two people may be behind a table at any one time. While this has been the policy for many years, due to COVID the number of Artists and Helpers behind the table will be subject to higher scrutiny.
Artist Alley hours of operation:
- Friday, 2:00pm - 8:00pm
- Saturday, 10:00am - 7:00pm
- Sunday, 10:00am - 7:00pm
- Monday, 10:00am - 2:00pm
Artist Alley will be open to Artists (and helpers) for an hour before and after the hours of operation for setup and take-down each night.
If you have any further questions please contact us at email@example.com.
Artist Alley Staff
FanimeCon 2023 | Website | Twitter | Facebook